Thursday 9 May 2013

Burbage Skyline 2013

Burbage Skyline race report according to Claire

Having decided to do the race an hour and a half before the start (and foolishly only having eaten a salad for lunch) I crammed in an emergency bowl of Frosties and set off for the Norfolk Arms, then realised just in time that I needed to be at the Fox House.
There was a good Plodder turnout – John F, all the Steves, Shaun, Rob P, Martyn, Anna and myself. Burbage Skyline is a 5.75 ish mile fell race by Dark Peak, part of the Accelerate Gritstone series for 2013.
Starting at Fox House you wind your way up and over Higger Tor to Burbage Bridge, then back downhill to finish. The start was crammed and I now realise about the forewarning – if you get stuck behind someone you’re trapped until you’re out of the heather. In my case I was trapped behind a heavy-breathing really slow man, who turned out to be a woman when I eventually passed her. I found the first hill tough, and the climb up to Higger Tor even tougher but the stream crossings were a lot easier and more fun now I’ve overcome my fear of having dirty shoes and wet feet. At Burbage Bridge we had the last bit of hill, then the awesome view along the top of all the other runners making their way down to the finish.
Rob was the first Plodder home, and Mr Bond came in second place :-O No results as yet but I'm sure the others were super speedy.
It was a fantastic evening, nice and warm, and we were treated to a beautiful sunset. The guys hung around to see Anna and I finish, despite the midges, and we enjoyed a nice cup of water (we ran too slowly for flapjack!) Can’t think of a better way to have spent a lovely sunny evening. This was my first real fell race and I enjoyed it so much that I’ve already got my sights on the next!

Burbage Skyline 2013 Results



Place
Plodder
Time
Cat
35
Rob P
00:44:55
M
63
Martyn
00:46:35
M
119
Stephen M
00:51:41
MV50
130
Shaun
00:52:00
M
218
Steve B
00:57:13
MV40
283
John F
01:03:31
MV60
298
Claire
01:04:30
L
318
Anna
01:06:19
L